PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Jigsaw
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2006, 20:51
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that all professional helicopter pilots working in the N Sea welcome the addition of an offshore-based SAR helicopter. The sea states that we sometimes operate in would make rescue by a surface vessel very difficult even if they could find you.

A SAR helicopter has so many advantages over the present standby vessels that I do hope that it is expanded but somehow I doubt it will be as bp is loosing interest in the N Sea as reserves dwindle and the return on capital follows suite.

JIGSAW does have problems though; some are due to the settling in period and the lack of experience amongst the crews in operating an offshore-based a/c. These will disappear as experienced is gained. Others, however, are due to the unsuitability of the 332 as an offshore-based a/c. It is too top heavy and too susceptible to blade sail on start/shutdown. The last time Bond based a 332 offshore they had at least two offshore head changes due to blades assuming the vertical!!

The recent episode of it going ashore for wind (it didn't reach 55kts offshore) will diminish as experience is gained as well as it being sent out to float around looking for a deck to shut down on before the crew ran out of hours. It ended up in Sumburgh.

What I find amusing is Jigsaw's spin on it all.

"The Miller aircraft provided cover to the crew change flights in the recent 60 knot storms that saw many standby vessels unable to do so."

The Miller a/c was forced ashore so it provided cover as the SAR at Lossiemouth does There were no 60kt winds our wind readout did not even gust to 60kts - in fact, it did not even gust to 55kts so we stayed offshore.

JIGSAW is a good idea it doesn't need the spin so Jigsaw needs to rein in his spin or it will become a laughing stock or even worse a believer in its own spin which is not a good thing to happen in SAR

HF