PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 18th Mar 2006, 09:39
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to explain the above posting because it is extremely important. In Dec 01 it was "darkside only" into Afghanistan because of Threat Matrix. Then something happened. A decision was taken to put slick Hercs in. I am not sure of the exact chrono order, but the Threat Matrix was changed. A "stop order" came out of OEU because of kit concerns days before the slicks were to go in. This was overruled by Defence Chiefs on the grounds of "military risk." This is their entitlement however I believe that PJHQ may have changed the Matrix. This they are not entitled to do. This was not the only occasion that the Threat Matrix was changed overnight to suit the task. Daylight ops into Kabul is another example. The question has to be asked, however uncomfortable, because the MoD has a "Duty of Care" to its personnel. At what point is this "Duty of Care" being thrown away when things as fundamental as MELs/tactics are being changed to suit a task? It goes to the heart of what is wrong with our Armed Forces at the moment. Senior officers are not very good at telling politicians what we can and can't do. Unusually, when looking at British Military History the role of Defence Chiefs with this particular Government needs to be more of a restraining influence. I suspect there are a fair few officers struggling with their consciences.

Last edited by nigegilb; 18th Mar 2006 at 10:24.