PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2006, 03:53
Thermal Image

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by predator79
I came across this post at another forum (www.askcaptainlim.com) so would like to share it with pilot wannabes here. Seem like there are no 'fixed mould' or 'model character' to pass the interview. There are thousand and one ways to pass the interview and also a thousand and one way to fail. Are we really going to depend on luck?
____________________________________________________________ _____
I thank you for such an informative website which i have benefitted immensely. However, i have a burning question in my mind which i hope you or anyone reading this can share your thoughts on.
I have a fren holding a business degree who failed the second interview conducted last Feb. He was told by the chief interviewer that he was, and i quote ' not academically inclined' This sweeping statement leaves both me n my fren deeply puzzled coz i know there are doctors and lawyers who have zero aeronautical/engineering background who are successfully pilots today.
He was also told that and i quote 'according to our statistics, people from your background have very slim chance of getting in.' Sounds like they have already made their mind there n then in the interview room?
Apparently, he is not the only one getting such remarks. Fellow candidates with business background in his batch also got the same remarks and rejected for the final interview.
Does this mean aspiring pilots with a Business Degree ( me included) have virtually zero chance of getting into the cadet pilot program? I am confused as the prerequisties set by SIA did not specifically mention they only want those armed with aeronautical or engineering knowledge.
Would appreciate if you or anyone could share your thoughts on this
Do you really think SIA has no idea of whom they want? That it is all a lottery?

The fact is that for about the last 30 years ONE person was primarily responsible for saying who would make the final cut. This has produced cadets who are remarkably similar in character, for better or worse, although some other types do slip through.

Contrast this with cabin crew, which has seen a number of senior people responsible for giving the final approval, come and go, thus causing clear changes in the quality of the SIA girl (again, for better or worse) coincident with the changeover periods.

And finally, it is a common interview technique / trick to say things to put you, the candidate, on the defensive. It is to see how you handle unexpected events. So don't just believe what the interviewer says. If you just swallow stuff they throw at you which is opposite to what you believe in, then you are someone insipid with no backbone.