PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Network Attached Storage
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2006, 00:10
Conan the Librarian
TheVillagePhotographer.co.uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, things here are going well,though not swimmingly. I do think that will be very impressed eventually though. The software needs attention certainly. The prompt to check for updated software is like nothing I have known for a while and is frankly, poorly implemented at present. Very capable and powerful, but silly errors like not allowing firewall warning and advisories to show through the "hung" software installation is embarassing. It would fool a non techie very quickly. (And this has been the same through 2 pcs) It seems that this has been rushed to market, as the updates both to software and firmware are not measured in single versions, but about four ahead. Ok. we have an immature product, but it is promising an awful lot and to be objective, Ii simply think it is still in some sort of beta stage. However, what it promises, it can and will do well, even now. In three months, I think it will be a real winner. Mac and Linux drivers are apparently in development and the whole feel of the thing will be different in the near future.

So. What does it do and does it work sufficiently fast to be viable for most users? The answer so far, is a resounding "Yes" Access times through the wired PC is surprisingly fast. My own requirement is backup and distribution of music and photographs. Not sure if I would like to do video editing as yet, but on the whole, it is quite fast enough. A good point is that you can use any old disk that is hanging around, (though ATA 6 minimum) and give it a useful new life.

In all, I commend it to the house, though in two months, it will be a lot better still. Theo 300GB disk in there now, came from a cheap firewire caddy, but the vagaries of getting access to that from another PC eventually got me down. (Room for two disks, so another 300 will give 600) What I will say, is that with the speed of development, if anyone is thinking of this for a solution, PM me first to see whether I have hung myself. So far, I am optimistic.

Conan