PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WCHR/C/S
Thread: WCHR/C/S
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2006, 17:25
sinala1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bernoulli
is the responsibility of the crew to do all that they can.
This point has never been denied - you are correct in saying that aircrew must do all they can to help in the event of an evac. Of course thats what we are there for. HOWEVER there is no point putting yourself in a position where you too are likely to become a casualty (read: Liability) to the evac process as a whole. Don't forget there is more to it than just getting pax off a/c - there is initial (and potenitally ongoing, depending on where you are) ground management, first aid etc etc.

Originally Posted by Anicent Mariner
To read that professional air crew would disregard a person because "he/she should know better" or "he/ she didn't tell the truth" is f*****g amazing. You're there for a reason and if you think "coffee, tea or me" is it.....please reconsider.
I am not sure if that quote is directed at me or not, however I will go ahead and answer it anyway. (Will happily retract if required )

The way you describe it is not the way crew feel, nor is it what has been said or implied on this forum. What HAS been said is that pax who LIE to airlines by saying they can move themselves unaided in the event of an emergency are unneccessarily endangering themselves and others - aircrew, fire/rescue services etc. This is not to say that they are precluded from travel, however a lot of airlines will request/require an able bodied carer to be travelling with the person who is unable to move themselves.

On a side note, there is always the chance in an evac that an able bodied passenger will effectively become a quadraplegic - fear can be a very disabling emotion, causing positive or negative panic - negative panic can result in a person sitting in their seat, frozen with fear, completely oblivious to the current/pending danger. Crew again will do everything they can to ensure EVERY passenger is out of the a/c before they themselves evacuate - however our training states over and over that if at any time your life is in danger then you EVACUATE.

Happy Flying All