PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Free Masons - Should they "come out"?
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2006, 12:57
MostlyModerate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why not ask one ?

Just before this thread grinds to a halt, let me add a couple more points in clarification of what has been writtten before.

1. Applications for membership MUST be entirely voluntary. If you have done your homework, asked your questions and decided that you would like to join, go ahead and apply. If you wait to be "invited", you will wait a long time . A Mason may intimate that he would be happy to support an application from you, and an invitation to a Ladies' Night may be a hint, but YOU must take the first step.

2. You could fill a small library with all the rubbish that has been written about Freemasonry, going back to the 17th century. Most has been penned by people who know a soft target when they see one. or who think that all the misfortunes of the world are down to masonic skulduggery. Politicians and the press cannot, or will not, accept that they do not have the right to know everything about everybody. It can be argued that Masons have only themselves to blame for not shouting back, and have allowed the mud to stick. But things are changing, and Masons are encouraged to be more open than ever before. Even five years ago, you would not have found me writing this in a public forum.

3. Little has been mentioned here about the principal activity of Freemasons - Charity. A couple of points. Freemasons in this country raise the best part of £10,000,000 a year for Charities, both Masonic and non-Masonic. Plus what they may give privately. That is second only to the National Lottery ! And very importantly, that is what they give themselves-from their own pockets, not from rattling a tin in the High Street.

Thanks for letting me have my say.

If you want to know the truth about the Masons, Why not ask one ?

MM