PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line Up And Wait
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2006, 10:33
CAP493

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the way...did you know that a controller's headset is a non-maintenance item...there is no checking or maintenance or regular replacement progamme
Don't know what unit you work at but this is definitely NOT the 'standard' situation and so please don't post generalisations of this nature which can be misconstrued by many.

Whilst it's true that each headset isn't tested daily for serviceability (any more than are those on the flight deck) if when it's used for the first time in the day i.e. when you 'plug in' at the start of your shift, it doesn't then work you should be able to immediately draw a spare and get yours handed in to ATC Engineering/Tels for repair or as at my unit, get issued with a replacement one and your 'old' one goes off for repair.

If the situation you describe really does exist at your unit, suggest you take it up with management and if you get no satisfaction, file an MOR!!
At LHR we were at about 300' ILS 09R when the tower controller cleared an aircraft to line up and wait 09R. This caused both of us on the flight deck concern
This sounds as though someone was 'anticipating' the situation i.e. that the departure just couldn't have accessed the runway in time to get there before you touched down. However, from a situational awareness perspective it's extremely bad practice because as you say, it causes the flight deck concern and who knows, another crew might have simply hit the TOGA button and gone around? I've worked at two UK HIRO airports and so I can agree and empathise with ATC's need to keep everything moving and not waste precious seconds given the hourly/daily movement rates needed, but the inclusion of a couple of extra words "after the landing XXX..." wouldn't have slowed things down and could have avoided the concern that you describe.

At my current unit, in pursuit of the ongoing runway safety initiative, all LCEs require the ATCOs to be aware of the need to enhance the flight deck's situational awareness. File an ASR or a CHIRP to keep this important issue on the front burner.