PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Difficulty for non-engineer
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2006, 08:39
bfato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually took the GCE 'A's Physics a long long time ago, scored rather badly with a D.
Snap! The level of physics required is first year 'O' level at most. Very basic mechanics - e.g. lever arms and moments, F=ma, simple electrical circuits. Nowhere near 'A' level.

I would have thought the course would be more application, and applying the concepts, than memory work?
Sorry, I may have misled you. There are subjects such as Gen Nav, Flight Planning, Mass and Balance that are mostly about understanding, and are much easier if you learn the concepts rather than the question bank. In general though there seemed to be a bias towards testing fine detail over understanding. As examples, your ability to name the component parts of an instrument might be tested rather then your ability to detect when it has failed, or your knowledge of how many fire extinguishers should be installed in a cabin with a given number of seats. Or, even more likely, whether you have spotted the crafty 'not' the examiner put at the end of a line midway through the question or that the first otherwise correct answer in the list has the wrong units. You may start out like me with high ideals, hungry for knowledge, but you end up just wanting to get through the exams like everyone else!