PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to get into line maintenace
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2006, 21:00
hangar-rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The botom line is this - an ad goes out for technicians and Licensed guys from a reputable company. What they want is a period of formal recognised training (usually equates as forces training or aircraft apprenticeship) and for a tech say 2 years relevant experience on the types of aircraft they have. For a certifier probably 7 years + experience and at least 2-3 years certifying the company's particular type of aircraft along with supervisory experience. What do you think they get? Guys who have paid for their modules and self studied, done a bit of hands on as part of their modules (usually KLM Norwich), no supervisory experience. Or a grad fresh from Uni who wants to be a tech or engineer. I went through 150 C.Vs recently and there were about 15 from possibles out of that you may get 4 guys you need.

Facts are there are still more guys out there with experience than there are decent jobs, thats why the grads and those with little to no experience will not get a look into an airline on commercial aircraft. The difficulty for companies comes in matching their type ratings to applicants without breaking the bank on training.

So if you are in that position what do you do. First thing is get a job anywhere (and I mean anywhere) to pay for a type course, offer your services FOR FREE for the work experience and be prepared to work hard, learn and put yourself out. Thats what a guy did where I work and guess what - he is now a tech lined up for a few type courses. There is quite simply NO substitute for experience.