PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eyesight discrimination?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2006, 17:22
Mark 3:16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with EGB's post above re: the PPL.

I'm in the same situation, eyes at -5.25 and -5.75 bit otherwise healthy. I was going to do the integrated route and sent my prescriptions for the last 3 years off the CAA to check I could get a Class 1. As there was stability - and that's the key - they said yes I could with Deviation.

I'm now going down the PPL route first, and then probably off down the modular route after that. I spoke with CAA yesterday and they confirmed - I'll get a Class 2 now. Once I have my PPL I can go down and have the Class 1 medical. All being well with everything else, I'll get the Class 1 with deviation because by getting my PPL and flying round happily with no problem then it proves to them that eyesight is not an issue.

Seems a bit harsh that effectively we have to pay for a Class 2 then a Class 1 as opposed to just getting a Class 1 straight off, especially if we are just outside the limit. All money for old rope as we know, and we have to do it.

Main thing to remember is - IT CAN BE DONE. I was always put off by my eyesight for ages, thinking I couldn't be a pilot because of it. Its only when I bothered to check properly that I was sparked into life!

Good luck
Mark