PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instruction on permit aircraft
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2006, 12:53
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flybymike i think the confusion is that I don't think you can get a restricted medical as you describe (I maybe wrong). You can either fly the plane by yourself or you can't be PIC. I don't know what the regs are for the NPPL.

The legalitys of the 90 day rule about who can sit in and who can't can be sorted with a paper work exercise. But the pilot sitting in the RHS and who is current has to log the time as PIC until the point the other person becomes current again.

If anything goes wrong its the person in the RHS who answers. And its not really the CAA you need to worry about its the insurance company.

This isn't just something that is stated in LASOR's its written into the ANO and has been for years.

Over 90 days you can't be PIC with anyone on board. Unless.....

You hold a CRI or FI rating on that class of aircraft and you obey all the regulations for giving flight instruction, then one other person can be counted as crew. ie you can't borrow your mates permit aircraft to taxi your mum down to visit your granny landing at an unlicensed strip. This is how instructors are allowed to start the night rating season without doing a night landing if they don't hold an SPA-IR.

There is nothing to stop you being PIC from the right hand seat and letting the other pilot do thier 3 circuits. You just have to be able to justify yourself to an insurance company afterwards. You could ask your insurance company, you might find that after submitting your experence and details. They might write it into your policy that your allowed to be PIC in the right hand seat and allow an out of check group member to do the 3 circuits. I know that for some groups with 28 day limits for insurance that certain group members are detailed as check pilots with no formal training and some have limitations on more than 90 days and others don't. But over 90days the check pilot must log it as PIC.

But to be honest it all becomes alot simpler after you have a FI or CRI rating.
Insurance is easy, and all the regulations are clear cut without having to use the loopholes.

So have you booked the course yet?