PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S/O vs. D.E. F/O
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2006, 12:05
mpflis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cause for concern?

Im currently waiting for a class date as a DESO. I am aware that CX is recruiting DEFO's for the cargo fleet. I have also read that they may be looking for DEFO for the pax fleet in OZ. I'm hoping someone could give me some insight on what this might mean for someone like myself.....career ramifications. It's not something that will change my mind about joining CX, for it has been my only goal since beginning aviation; however, I would like to start with realistic expectations. Being mentally prepared is half the battle. Here is what I believe I understand. Transition from SO to JFO 3.5-4 yrs JFO-FO 1 yr. FO to Captain (if you can make it past the training and management eval) 10 yrs total. I realize that alot of people may be joining as FO's on the cargo fleet (which would seem normal given that they have 5 more 747 converted freighters on order with options for 6 more), but for it to directly affect the SO's, wouldn't they have to move to the pax fleet? Is this what the majority do? I only ask because the people I know that would be interested in joining all want to remain close to their home country, whether it be the U.S. or Europe. Now they could definately stay on the cargo side until a position becomes available on the pax fleet (after 3 yrs), but it seems like that would take longer than for a SO to upgrade to FO, especially with the new 16 airplane 777-300ER order (and options for 20 more) which should bring many SO's on board like myself. Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers