PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ZK-FGA Fouga Firth of Thames accident report
Old 16th Mar 2006, 10:19
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I don't, but it is a relatively simple philosophical decision on the part of the CAA. They can either adopt their usual hands-off, safety-is-the-operators-responsibility stance, or they can start to insist on higher standards. The warbirds guys may all be jolly fine chaps and snappy dressers, but they clearly have difficulty self-regulating, which is hardly surprising.

If it was me, I would insist that pilots are checked out by someone qualified to do so - and by that, I mean somebody who is qualified, and at least reasonably current, on type. It may be necessary to give these people temporary CAA validations to allow them to fly here, as they will probably all be based overseas, but at least then the local pilots are being checked by people who actually know the aircraft.

The basis of the "check" being carried out when this accident happened is absolutely laughable. One guy, not familiar with the aircraft and having not flown fast jets for many years, checking a guy who is not current on type but is nevertheless conducting low-level aeros. It could probably only happen in NZ...