PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ZK-FGA Fouga Firth of Thames accident report
Old 16th Mar 2006, 02:18
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just because you wouldn’t be prepared to take those risks (and for the record, neither would I without a bang seat) doesn’t mean that you are an unprofessional or ill-disciplined pilot
Ummm are you SURE that is what you meant to say...

The question of risk is very subjective. When I go blasting down the road on my big Japanese sports bike, I feel perfectly in control, however many people would label those bikes intrinsically dangerous. If that bike does depart, I'm going to get hurt, and yet I ride the thing and enjoy going fast on it - although I don't take stupid risks. I guess many emergency room doctors wish those bikes didn't exist.

When flying aircraft, I always take the approach that you can't be too careful/disciplined/professional, because the consequences of a lapse are apt to hurt you. Fly by the SOPs as much as you possibly can, and when you aren't, act to the highest standards of professionalism. So I guess there is a bit of a paradox there.

Most of my exposure to warbirds and display flying was in the UK - I spent a bit of time flying a B25 over there. My take on the display pilot scene was that it was sharply divided between the extremely competent and professional (the Ray/Mark Hannas of this world), and those who had enormous piles of cash, bought the aircraft, and then proceeded to show off in them. They wouldn't let other pilots fly them, so if you wanted to see them displayed, they were going to do it. Having seen two Spitfires destroyed at airshows, as well as a Hurricane very nearly destroyed at Old Warden, I wish somebody would stop the carnage. There aren't that many of these aircraft left.

Anyway... which is bigger, the Catalina or the Dak?