PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF pilot training ...... yes or no?
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2006, 18:40
Touchin' Down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
argh, well must say that this thread has made my night! Rather amusing! Fact is Danny, you can never really tell who is going to get through or who isn't, although I do know that the RAF can afford to have the 'pick of the bunch' when it comes to applicants. I was sat at OASC just recently, chatting to a young lad who was waiting for appointment with the doctor. Very confident guy who had always dreamed of being a pilot in the military. A few minutes later, he had seen the doc, and came out with tears in his eyes. Not heavy enough for his height and he had suffered migranes in the past apparently. Sad to see someones dreams swept away in a few moments.

I remember seeing guys at my OASC who I thought 100% they would make it through. Good grades, confident etc etc...but they didn't! The RAF want people who are well rounded, not just good at maths or english etc. It really is a matter of having the 'whole package'. You need to intergrate well into a group and judging by the amount of stir you have caused, this may be an area you need to improve on (always room for improvement).

Reference the rotary comment I give it time before you voice too stronger views. I remember changing my mind several times through pilot training, but also remember thinking that I'd be absolutely over the moon to just finish and get to stay in the RAF. As it transpired, I ended up as a FJ pilot but have never looked down at the other roles (banter excepted). Each role has it's purpose and the guys do a brilliant job with the limited resources they have.

In any case, best of luck, but don't kiss off the advice, positive or negative, you get on here. RAF aircrew are, by nature, generally well sorted guys who are willing to help you out, however, beware, if you get it wrong (and it appears it may be too late) we/they can come down fairly hard. The advice you got was from guys who know the system, have seen it all before and are just saying the way it is. It may not be what you want to hear but that's just life. I'm no doctor and I don't know enough about your condition. My advice is, go ahead with your application and fairly shortly you will find out whether it's a go or no-go item!

KMAGYOYO