PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF pilot training ...... yes or no?
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2006, 17:32
MightyFinWarrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temper Temper

Danny, not only has your thread entertained me for at least half an hour. You've managed to drag me from being an occasional viewer of these boards to a Poster, congrats. Although, I do have to agree with the venerable Dirty Sanchez that this all smells of a fishing expedition by someone bored at Linton or maybe even Valley?

That aside, I too have a heart condition that sounds a lot worse that it is. I was diagnosed with a Heart Murmur during my pre-IOT medical, which came at a rather inopportune moment in my life. Turns out everything is hunky-dory and I just have an abnormally large heart, so all is not lost. After a short stint in the training world (Four and a half years) I am now flying front-line Fast Jets.

I'd keep going with your single-minded determination. It's only mere mortals that read high confidence as arrogance and indifference. I should know, I've met several of them in my short career. I'd tone it down a little for your OASC and/or UAS interview and actually get some achievements under your belt before you 'big yourself up' too much.

I didn't comtemplate joining the Rotary world before signing up, although by all accounts it's rather rewarding. What I did do however, was to see whether or not my youthful bluster was up to much by completing EFT on the UAS before commiting. You can gain some idea whilst at University of whether you'll be monstering the Low-Flying system or flying Sentry Racetracks for your commission.

By the by, with my somewhat limited experience I've found that it doesn't matter much which Degree people (especially pilots) have achieved, indeed it doesn't really matter which university they've attended (helps if it's one of the blue ones of course). It just matters whether they've got what it takes, both mentally and physically. Having lost half of my FJ training intake to the knife I can't tell you what 'it' is. Confidence is in there, but so is grit, determination, hard-work, sense of humour, a bit of ability and smattering of luck.

Keep up the enthusiasm, it is a great job, although it takes an absurdly long time to get into it and ready to do anything of any use. The rest of you, chill out; someone'll learn him. Especially you Sanchez, stop foaming at the mouth with rage, too easily baited that one. Get in your Chariot and hang out over some approach lanes, see if you can pick up something that you can usefully turn with. Don't stray too far from home though, no danger of that I'm sure.