PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spotters and airport security issues - Combined thread.
Old 15th Mar 2006, 14:58
skiddyiom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at LCY yesterday, taking photographs, having flown in from the IOM. After around 2 hours a security operative approached me and informed me that taking photographs there was illegal and I would have to obtain permission to do so. I contested this, saying nowhere is this posted.

Howeve, I hied myself off to the Customer Service desk and enquired. I was told to call a number which I did. I was then told that under no circumstances would I be allowed to take pictures at LCY and I should take the matter up with the Airport Director.

So I went to the Jet Centre end of the airport and stood under the approach for a while, being passed by several marked Police cars who took not a blind bit of notice of this idiot with a camera standing almost where I was.

If indeed there is a no photography policy at LCY then it should be posted and made obvious. However, I would question the validity of such a ban as there is an area just outside the terminal with seating for people to watch the aircraft. The actions here smack of overreaction and ignorance.

If this sort of thing becomes de-rigour at other airports then spotters are going to be well and truly stuffed!

Andy