PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you have done?
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2006, 10:42
sixmilehighclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
, can you get reception at 40000'? I can't!)
Why is that relevant CHD? It's not the phone ringing that causes interference (that affects electronics more than avionics). It's the handset searching for a signal that causes the inteference as it tries to communicate with any thing thats transmitting in range at the time.

Right. [Rant mode on]

Does anyone here, or indeed in any professional body, anywhere worldwide have cast-iron PROOF that the use of mobile phones on board aircraft most definitely do not, have never and will never affect any of the avionics, IFE or instrumentation on any type of aircraft in civil aviation???
No?
Then lets play it safe, keep mobiles off, unless permitted by the local licencing avition authority, commander/Captain of the aircraft you're on, or by mean of new sat comms technology via the agreed methods.

I have witnessed inteference with ILS, IFE and radio comms. The reason the interference was blamed on the mobile was because when it was discovered and switched off, the inteference ended. One occasion of which was found to be related solely to a laptop during cruise which had the WiFi selected. Once switched off, all was fine.

So please, this thread has been discussed over and over and over again, and everytime reaches no conclusion, goes nowhere.

Governing bodies, from various sources and from investigations, have decided it is possibly unsafe to use mobiles and electronic devices at certain phases of flight, therefore, keep them switched off!!! [Rant mode off]

Last edited by sixmilehighclub; 15th Mar 2006 at 10:54.