PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Future Deterrrent.
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2006, 08:44
BillHicksRules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orac,

I do not. I also do not include Pakistan or India.

NC43,

To put it very simply we have been so far lucky with the politicians with have had on both sides.

No matter who bad they were none were crazy enough to step over the nuclear line. Not Stalin, Nixon nor any of the others. What I did learn which surprised me was that one of the greatest proponents for the removal of nuclear weapons was Ronald Reagan.

Naval,

Well all I can say is lets hope you are never in that position.

Brick,

I think you will find that any nuclear attack on the UK is pretty much going to be game over for all on the islands. “
“Square Leg was a 1980 British government exercise that assessed the effects of nuclear war. In it, 150 nuclear weapons were assumed to fall on Britain with a total explosive power of 280.5 megatons. This was felt to be a reasonably realistic scenario, although the report stated that a total strike in excess of 1000 megatons would not be unexpected. Mortality was estimated at 29 million; serious injuries at 7 million; short-term survivors at 19 million.” (Source Wikipedia) This is assuming a strike on both military and civil targets.
In the hypothetical “Iranian Strike” I think it is not wrong to assume that it would be simply an assault on the civilian population.

g126,

I never claimed omniscience in this subject.

As for "they can then make demands that we have no choice but to submit to", but yet you agree that having nukes does not mean we can do anything differently?

Cheers

BHR