PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Ire.
Thread: Virgin Ire.
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2001, 17:20
Metal Mickey

Talking

Getafix,

You've really got me thinking on this "chip van" thing. My father always said that there is only one man to work for and that's yourself - at least then you have control of your own destiny. But I digress.

There's a guy from my part of the country who used to operate a single chipvan operation. This progressed to two, three, four chipvans (you get the picture?)located outside dancehalls, bingohalls, marts, large funerals, football matches etc. He then set down roots in a manner of speaking in that he bought a building and opened (yes, you're right) a chipper. My father always said stick to the business you know and he was right because the man I'm talking about now owns four hotels and a very large house on the hill.

The only downside to this was a slight skirmish along the way with the revenue but when you own a fleet of chipvans, a chipper, four hotels and a very large house on the hill (did I mention the apartment in Spain)things like this are only a minor detail. In the end his barrister argued that his client was not aware that VAT applied to Mazola and he got off on a technicality.

Anyway I've coincidentally come out of a number of late venues in the past 12 months to discover a sad lack of chip vans and I think your timing could be just right. If you're serious about bringing this a stage further please respond and we can initiate our business plan. I know a "good" accountant (if you know what I mean) and I also know a guy who does a line in Mazola (VAT paid!). Roll on the house on the hill.

P.S. No, I've no idea if the share transfer occured however can I refer you to my previous comments some time ago on this matter.

Good luck now.