PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Switzerland to Italy
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2006, 19:05
172driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IO540
A 172 should be able to fly in the canyons; they fly everything else in them. But that needs reasonable local knowledge, at the very least.
I doubt a 172 would be able to go over the top, FL160 or so...
One can do it VFR; below Switzerland the airspace is Class C at FL130 so one should be able to get transit. If one goes from Austria, one can go VFR up to FL195. But not in a 172
Depends on the 172.... I once saw one (actually Swiss registered) with a turbine stuck to the front

On a more serious note: If you do plan to go through the valleys (or canyons as some would have it), make sure you REALLY know your route. Ideally input the entire route with WPs every few miles into your GPS - it's darn easy to turn into the wrong valley, especially on a hazy summer's day.

Also, if flying in the Alps in summer, plan for 'crack o'dawn' departures. In a 172 you'll need the cooler air and you'll appreciate the smooth ride.

As a matter of fact, getting a 172 with a constant speed prop (I imagine this is what you mean by 'cruise prop' ??) across the Alps in Austria is a non-event regarding a/c performance. You still need to be sharp regarding mountain flying. Beautiful scenery, but perfectly doable in a 172. In Switzerland - and especially in the western parts - the hills are a bit higher, though...