PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mildura Accident
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2006, 13:42
cogwheel

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, it is quite sad that many of us were not surprised.
Some facts (as far as we know):
At least 2 of the witness's were CPL/ATPL holders with much experience,
There was no "dust storm" - yes there was some dust as there often is when a change has passed. It was VFR and still daylight. The wind was from the SW or thereabouts.
QNH: By "standard" engine I meant a Lycoming or similar - this a/c had a Mazda rotary engine. It was claimed to develop 200hp, but from observing the performance it is doubtful that it was even 180hp.
Not fitting a muffler is ok. It's experimental and is not required to comply with noise regulations at non-curfued airports
I can't find that in the Regs. Do you have a ref? I suggest that all aircraft must comply or have a concession, even if only for testing.
Yes, it had a wheels up landing on the 26/6/02 and the owner was the pilot. From what I recall the nose wheel locked up and it was landed with all gear retracted on runway 36 (flight strip) at Mildura right on last light. He did a good job.
Yes, there are "other factors" as there always is with an accident. The holes in the cheese have to line up for it to happen. The task is to identify all the bits of cheese!
Yes, I agree that an investigation should be held to determine all the contributing factors. If the ATSB don't do it, then CASA and the SAA should do so. Leaving it to the Coroner is not good enough. We cannot afford to have any accidents when the GA industry as a whole is suffering as much as it is today.

Last edited by cogwheel; 14th Mar 2006 at 14:14.