PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you have done?
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2006, 12:36
CaptHairDryer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jettesen
DUSHAN - What do you think the captain hears in his headset when mobiles are going off all the time???? ATC tell him to go around, and he cannot hear that instruction and then we all suffer. Don't always go on the assumtion of what you can hear in the cabin systems, the flight deck syatems are more important
DUSHAN, worry more about the SLF and less about what were doing. We could be sleeping for all you know...

HAHA!!! I am an oz First Officer on a 100+ seater jet, and I have 2 incidents to share with you (that I found quite amusing) that basically says we don't give a ****e:

1) Quite often on VERY short finals to land and both our mobiles start beeping with messages (because we don't turn them off) because we've never had an issue over 20+ years flying other than a bit of the GSM buzz in your ear. If we were told to go around, and we didn't hear through the buzz, ATC would keep telling us till we heard, and chances are, we can see the potential issue up front (Anyway, can you get reception at 40000'? I can't!)

2) and my favourite, we were approaching to land in the last jet type I was on, the autopilot had been switched off, it was raining and were prob at 2000', anyway Captain's phone rang, whilst flying, he swaps hands and reaches over (quite a stretch) and grabs his phone out of the console, ANSWERS IT, goes "hey babe, what ya doing? yeah, oh ok no worries, hey gonna have to call you back, just about to land hey, ok talk soon..." classic! I was dumbfounded, I PROBABLY would't have done that, I'll wait until I'm a captain!

As for the phone next to the fuel truck SkySista, I have often poked my head out the flight deck window to see if we're being refuelled (cos I need to go get the docket and sign it) and the refueller is on his mobile whilst pumping in 20000 litres) so if he can do it whilst refuelling, I think a pax can).