PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS soldier quits Army in disgust at 'illegal' American tactics in Iraq
Old 14th Mar 2006, 10:34
Days Like These

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indifference

NUTCRACKER43 - I understand what you're trying to say but ultimately there was no evidence.

...weapons inspectors, I do not think, had unimpeded access to all areas...as I understand it, many of them were not convinced that there were no WsMD...
You're probably right but where was the evidence? Last time I checked we lived in a country where you're innocent until proven guilty.

As for whether he gets a book deal or not who cares...if it's worth reading people will buy it. Those of you so quick to criticise him for selling out I think are unfair. He went to Iraq on numerous occasions for his country and I can assure you he did it for a hell of a lot less money than the man who sent him there. I doubt he has a £4m mortgage anyway. Writing a book wouldn't be my cup of tea and I doubt I'd read it if he did but I'm not going to criticise him for it. I mean do you honestly think Tony Blair won't be writing a book when he stands down? lead by example after all...

I'm prepared to go out out on a limb and venture that most of the British military are against the reasons for war but are proud of the way we conduct ourselves (for the most part) as a military force. Enforcing your morals on other people because they're "better than other peoples morals" isn't an excuse. Nor is the "well Saddam killed 400,000 so we're better than him" philosophy.

With no end in sight 400,000 might not be too far away. The problem is that the world was lied to about the reasons, the UN were bypassed in order to achieve ulterior agendas and the reasons we went into this war were not those of the greater good.

Let's hope the justifications for the next fuel stop in Iran are 'adjusted' a little more 'intelligently'...