PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you calculate DOI Dry Operating Index?
Old 14th Mar 2006, 10:07
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
FLEXJET,

I am a tad bewildered by your post ... and, after thirty-odd years as a consulting engineer in this Industry with particular expertise in this field, I thought I had seen pretty well all the variations on the theme ...

Could I invite you to fax me a copy of ' .. any company's "ground operations manual" ' and that might ease my bewilderment ... ?

Index = [W - (Sta - Ref. Sta.) +K] / C

You might need to revisit this equation as it cannot possibly be correct. IU must derive from moment which, in turn, must derive from a product of weight (or mass) and arm. While there may be a range of sideline bits and pieces in it as well, you just cannot avoid having these basics. Perhaps you might offer some additional commentary in support of your thesis ? Alternatively, is it just a typo and you meant to post ..

Index = K + [W * (Sta - Ref. Sta.)] / C

.. which then would be fine for the entry IU argument ?

% MAC = [(C x (I - K) + Ref. Sta. – LEMAC] / (MAC / 100)

I think that even I have to admit defeat with this one... I can't make any sense of it at all in terms of working out where you might have taken an incorrect turning along the road. At the end of the day, the lefthand term is non-dimensional while the righthand term has a mass unit left over languishing all by itself .. this expression just cannot represent an equality.

Could I politely request a bit more information regarding just how you came up with this "equation" ?

Last edited by john_tullamarine; 14th Mar 2006 at 10:34.