PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS soldier quits Army in disgust at 'illegal' American tactics in Iraq
Old 14th Mar 2006, 08:56
N Arslow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having a rant will solve nothing because it so obviously turns off the side that are trying to be persuaded.
American policy is not global policy because american values are not shared by the rest of the world. Democracy and freedom of speech is not a unique american value and it can and should exist globally but the net result will be far removed from the american view. Priorities are different elsewhere.
I question the american and british supposed priority for democracy when they chose to not return to the UN for a mandate to go to war - this they would not have got from that "global democratic body". Rather than risk defeat they chose their own version of an existing resolution as their mandate - but continually do nothing in support of resolutions ignored by other states (Israel most notably). Hypocracy - oh yes.
So what now. Well my 2c don't add up to much but with Sunnis and Shiites against each other in a war ravaged land with extremist elements inciting the differences in a violent fashion, then success is a long way off. Regional states, perhaps under an umbrella country may stand a chance. But here is a key difference - those states would need some kind of religous boundary perhaps rather than geographical - which may advance later. Only a minority of muslims are extreme - just as a minority of christians are, however many more muslims practice their religon actively than declare a lapsed status - unlike christianity.
Education - balanced, fair and honest without greed and bias has to be the long term goal, but where does that exist anywhere in the world?
And to touch back on the original thread: this gentleman has, in my view, been honourable in supporting his colleagues as he draws his pay to do, but on returning has questioned his part in those proceedings and resigned. We are a democracy, so allowing him to write a book is of course, a right. Someone with alternate views can write a book to counter argue if so desired. I believe he stands for what is good about the western democracies - support to his country while exercising his rights to question the way his country is run. I for one, am proud that we live in a country where that is possible, and it is these ideals that we can present to others.