PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MELs for light aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2006, 23:55
Check Airman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Benix
Some of our aircraft (like the majority of the GA fleet) are getting rather tired and various bits dont seem to be being replaced/fixed when they break. I've had a look through the cessna manuals but there doesnt seem to be any kind of MEL or similar advice in there.

Its the general things that normally start to go in old aircraft for example: EGT guage, Carb Ice guage, cabin heat, com2 box u/s, obs knob u/s, door cards and interior cracked and falling apart, landing lights rarely being replaced when blown, parking brakes u/s etc, DI stuck etc. Mostly small niggly things, but add up when you get several of them on the same aircraft.

As the PIC the decision to fly is obviously mine at the end of the day, and im willing to put up with most of the faults that occur, but would just be nice to know if the manufacturer recommends/states that various systems have to be fully operational to be fit to fly or whether some faults are allowed (with or with limitations)...
I think the Cessna 172 R/SP POH's come with a MEL. The school or club should have one in the planes flight bag for updated reference3 though.