PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mildura Accident
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2006, 21:40
QNH1013.2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

My Condolences to the family and friends. He left behind 4 children and a loving wife and many, many good friends.

Any talk of the aircraft being dodgey or a history is just not relevant guys. The aircraft was attempting to land in a dust storm and for whatever reason, unfortunately didn't make it. For the record, the weather was very unpredictable all weekend. I've been flying for 10 years and yesterday came across some of the strangest weather conditions that I have ever experienced.

GLASAIR 2 - RG - Homebuilt Experimental.
VH IDF
Power Driven Aeroplane with tricycle-retractable landing gear
Single Piston engine.
Manufacturer: AMATEUR BUILT AIRCRAFT
Model: SH-2RG
Serial number: 550
Aircraft first registered in Australia: 18 October 2001

Cogwheel - hold the analysis for the investigators (if they even attend).

- There is no such thing as a "standard" engine in a Glassair. It's a homebuilt aircraft and you could fit any engine including a turbine if you wanted to.

- Not fitting a muffler is ok. It's experimental and is not required to comply with noise regulations at non-curfued airports.

- It did a wheels up landing.... sure who was actually flying? Why did that happen? Pilot error / mechanical? It's just not relevant.

- "perhaps other factors" - c'mon, I don't know you better than anyone else on this forum however I know you aren't qualified to state that AND for the record, there won't be an investigation because the aircraft is experimental to it is VERY unfortunate that a true accound and analysis won't take place because the ATSB won't be involved. It's a real shame because it means that everyone will simply speculate what happened.

The SAAA are currently working with the ATSB and CASA to see that all future experiemental crashes are investigated. A life or lives are worth no less just because an aircraft is built at home.