PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar Cabin Crew EBA
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2006, 13:32
Flugbegleiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by go_dj
......"Lastly, you accepted this job "as is" and were happy to do so. A high turnover of staff is something the company likes, remember when discussing your EBA they dont care if you stay or leave. Unfortunately we just fill a position and that position can be filled immediately. If the company offered you an individual contract at the start how many of you would have said NO? Probably not many at all because we want to fly and will do anything to get in.'..............
That argurment doesn't wash. When most people apply for this job, they *really* want it and don't think too much about how difficult it can be. It isn't until they start flying and do one trip after another after another after another that the reality starts to set in.

I work for QF and am lucky that we still manage to maintain reasonable conditions, though these are quickly being eroded and I am certainly feeling the effects of fatigue more and more. This ridiculous statement ("You signed the contract") is often used against our AKL or BKK based crew. It surprises me that we don't occassionally see some of these people dropping down dead! They work crazy hours - often 50 hours more per roster than AUS crew. It really can't be at all healthy and in fact, could even be dangerous. And of course, you never get the best out of someone who is exhausted. I know that when I am feeling tired and miserable, my service standard is not what it would otherwise be.

You may have "signed the contract" under certain crappy conditions, but now you know how bad they can be, it is up to you to either try to change it or leave.

Good luck with your EBA. Don't sell yourselves short. This is Australia, not some third world country.