PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK jobs market and where and how to find that first job?
Old 13th Mar 2006, 08:09
Thrusthold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Batfink,

Hi. I took the modular approach working during the week and studying (distance learning) at nights and weekends. I struggled for approx 6 months trying to juggle all commitments.

It didn't work for me but I do know several who have successfully achieved both but in double the time. It all depends on how much free time you can spare without ruining your relationship/job/life etc...In the end I came to the conclusion that if I was serious about becoming an airline pilot I had to give it all my attention. It took me 2 yrs from 0-ATPL(F) and i'm sure it saved me time in the long run.

Plus to be honest all the interviews and discussions I have had with airline recruiters, they seem to prefer candidates to have been "full-time" i.e Integrated of full time modular....

Best advice I could give is:
  1. Try for Airline sponsorship with a garenteed job at the end (Like golddust but low risk for you)
  2. Take unpaid leave if possible for 16-18 months. Get all the training done and return to work.
  3. Go to a flying school with a good reputation (it shouldn't make a differece but sadly it does!)
  4. After training get a job in the industry and NETWORK you Azz off!!!
If you can return to a job in the industry this would give you a considerable advantage over others. Unfortunately networking and contacts are key in the aviation industry. I left my comfortable job to become "Cabin Crew". I put up with that for over 18 months.......But it has just lead to a job and i'm sure it will make me a better pilot.

Best of luck to ALL