PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warp Drive
Thread: Warp Drive
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2006, 18:50
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by L Peacock
chornedsnorkack
and at 0.99c, you're racing forward in time as well.
It's hard enough to undertstand when it's explained over and over again so how did Einstein imagine it in the first place?
Awesome.
Actually, I think Dr."E" was saying that as you accelerate, you have no sensation of "time" being any different anywhere along your path of acceleration. However, to someone else, you may seem to be moving more slowly or more quickly. It is only the "relative" positions of these observers that allows consideration of a differentiation of this thing called "time."
And, regarding the hypothesis of "warping" the universe to place an intended destination physically more close to you, thereby decreasing the "distance" to that point ... Here is my 2 cents ...
I'm sure many, if not most, of you know, reaching the speed of light is nigh-on to being impossible if I understand physics correctly. As I understand Dr."E's" equation, as you accelerate something toward the speed of light, the mass of that something grows exponentially, toward infinity. This would necessitate a growth in the force necessary to act on that growing mass to continue the acceleration, and would require a growing energy function; likely at a rate greater than the increasing mass. Certainly there is little doubt that an infinitely powerful force would be needed to move an infintely large mass, let alone accelerate it to light speed -- so it is likely that one would need a force greater than an infinitely large one to achieve the necessary force to do this. Sorry folks. This is where I get off. I don't know how to multiply an infinite number -- what could the anser be? What is 6 times infinity? Infinity? Wait! I just multiplied that number by 6, what happened? And so the argument goes.
All of this is to say that I would think it would be a lot easier to generate enough "umph" (energy) to travel at close to the speed of light (let alone exceed it) than it would be generate the force, let alone the control, that would be necessary to "bend the known universe" (with all of its mass and space and distance) in such a way as to bring two distinct points in that universe (which as you also know are also moving away from each other at a pretty good clip themselves) into close proximity to one another so as to allow sub-light speeds to be sufficient to get from one to the other in anything that approaches a "reasonable" length of time (no pun intended).