PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eyesight discrimination?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2006, 14:37
Eddie_Crane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Strepsils
You require a class one medical before you can complete a CPL/IR course, which, loosely speaking, is the minimum "career pilot" qualification. Without the medical, you will prove nothing.
If you only mean PPL, why bother with the expense of a class one?
Hmm yeah, that's where I'm a bit unclear about the whole deviation thing... I haven't fully grasped the concept of this Class 1 via deviation. Is it a class 1, with some sort of limitation on it, which is lifted upon obtaining a CPL, or what...
Then again, how do you go about training for a CPL with a "limited Class 1", assuming you got no flying experience under your belt..
Obviously if there are people doing it and the CAA allow it then there must be something I'm missing... people have gone to OAT under this situation, I'm assuming they issue a Class 1 Medical of some sort then! And still the CAA themselves told me I need a PPL to go through this route? But then... as it's been said, why bother doing a class 1 if I can meet Class 2 requirements without any trouble (for a PPL...). I only became aware of this Class 1 via deviation a few weeks ago, thought I'd understood what it involves, but honestly.. I'm more confused than ever before
I guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see what the CAA say about my case...

PS Strepsils: the deviation route is in place for those who don't meet initial eyesight requirements for a Class 1 but do meet renewal requirements.. so "just outside" would mean anywhere outside initial but within renewal.