PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways
Thread: Jet Airways
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2006, 09:04
aceairman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nevrekar
Contract work is just that.. contract. It may be from 6 months to 5 years or longer. Most contractors will be on "single" status. In other words they are leaving their families behind in their country of origin. Based on that model which is typical, the expat Capt isnt making much more that the local Indian.
They have to pay taxes back home (15-33%) plus home expenses. If you factor that in then it is the same as an Indian. Plus they are away from their familes for 6 weeks at a time. They have no retirement benefits, loss of license insurance, medical insurance for their families, and also don't quite know where they will be after the contract ends. They may be unemployed for months. The local Capt enjoys a lot more job security.

I don't mean to imply that a local should be paid less or is worth less. I am just trying to present the Expat Capt pay issue in a slightly different light.
When I worked in Saudi Arabia, there were actually different payroll depts based on nationality. Your payroll was based on your passport. U.S. passports got paid the most followed by Canadian and UK. The Indian, Pakistani, Phillipine passport holders were paid the least. Now that's really an issue there.
Hi aviators, can anyone please let me know what scope there is for jet experienced NRI's to join Jet Airways (Capts & F/Os), or any one of the other numerous operators in India today? Cheers!