PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 12th Mar 2006, 09:03
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand your concerns. With regard to the generalisations used in terminology this was entirely deliberate on my part. The MPs have been given more specific guidance as to what system is required. I have asked in my evidence to the Defence Committee that the Hercules fleet be brought to the same standard of protection. This would include ESF, DAS Flight Deck Armour. The Australian Air Force policy is not to put its AT Fleet into harms way without all of the above. I am walking a tightrope here if I had gone into specifics in public I would have been accused of endangering crews on operations. On the other hand we have all sat on chains whilst Chiefs of Staff have turned a blind eye and Ministers have told the Country that Hercules crews have full protection. Having now lost some mates I am doing my best to not lose any more. Remember that the threat in Afghanistan is already there. With regard to the questions asked by Mike Hancock I had no input. The questions are specific for very good reasons. I have made certain allegations in my evidence and they may have prompted some of the more specific questions. There are other reasons that I cannot go into at the moment. The natural instinct of the MoD is to avoid the issue. I am not sure what to expect from the PQs, but the added scrutiny is a bonus. Hope this helps, any feedback from crews doing the job on the frontline is very useful to me. I am concerned that within the fleets at Lyneham a lottery of protection is developing, this needs fixing quickly.