PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ndb approach map and mda
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2006, 00:24
1800-how'smyflying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK Winggeek as promised here is my reply, hope you can understand it.
The way I was instructed to do an NDB approach was to get to the TOD, and immediatly descend at 1000 FPM to your MDA (but check there is no MIN heights before your MDA on the plate).

So if TOD is at 8 DME, and MDA is 400ft at 2 DME, just 'buzz on down' to 400ft. As there is no "not below" altitudes it is safe* (*although I can't guarentee safety).

The logic behind this method is that, because on an NDB approach the signal recieved is not totally accurate, and the closer we get to the ground system the less accurate it becomes, we are constantly changing heading.

These heading changes may become greater and more frequent as we get closer to the ground system and our MDA.

So in a high stress situation, as you approach your MDA and realise you are 4 degrees off your track on your NDB and about to partial your IR, you put all your attention into fixing your heading and bust your MDA.

Descending to your MDA straight away eliminates this risk.

Ok, well I hope I worded that well enough for people to understand what I mean. I don't know about others but I didn't feel comfortable with this even with the logical explaination, and my instructor didn't force it upon me. But then again I partialed!

Its like the whole "gear up, flap up" -vs- "flap up, gear up" thing, different schools and different instructors have different ideas. Either way I'm sure you will pass.