PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you have done?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2006, 23:02
derekl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ANOTHER ton?
Derekl, you say you have technical expertise in this matter, but can I be so bold as to ask in which field? (Aircraft, RF or filling station?) [etc]
ANOTHER ton: apologies I should have responded earlier.
I have significant RF engineering knowledge, some knowledge of aircraft systems and avionics, and, shall we say, derived knowledge of filling stations! (One of my colleagues is a engineer who does the modelling for this sort of disaster scenario at, say, tank farms for insurers and the like -- think Buncefield!)
We have discussed these things at length on the basis of burying the filling station urban myth in particular -- it's quite fascinating.
I most certainly don't dismiss what you say, although I've talked to quite a few technical aircrew about this sort of thing and the cellphone rule doesn't seem to apply to them )
I'm perfectly happy to obey the rules -- like some of the airport absurdities about security -- and I do, it really does not bother me at all.
It's the science and/or the thought processes -- and the sociology -- behind it all that is fascinating.