PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Revalidation of multi-engine instructor rating
Old 11th Mar 2006, 19:53
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whopity,

Thanks very much for the references. Having read the relevant part of JAR FCL, I am now of the opinion that my original reading of LASORS was incorrect, and that if I were to upgrade my FI rating to include ME privileges, I would then have to do a renewal test on a multi-engine aircraft in order to maintain those privileges (or at least use a sim to revalidate the ME privileges) - or, alternatively, to revalidate my FI rating by a combination of experience and seminar (which, in any case, can only be done every other renewal, because you must have a test every other renewal).

I base this on JAR-FCL 1.355 which lays out the requirement for revalidation of an FI rating, and says, regarding the option of revalidation by test:
(3) passed, as a proficiency check, the skill test set out in Appendices 1 and 2 to JAR–FCL 1.330 and 1.345 within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the FI rating.
I then referenced Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.330 and 1.345, which says:
7) Section 5 comprises additional instructor demonstration exercises for a FI(A) rating for multi-engine (ME) SPAs. This section, if required, shall use a ME SPA, simulator or FNPT II. If a simulator or FNPT is used, this shall simulate a ME aeroplane. This section shall be completed in addition to Section 2, 3 and 4 (if applicable) and 7.
However, as far as I can see, if you are using experience as one of the revalidation criteria, there is no requirement for any of the experience to be instruction on ME aircraft - which, as I said earlier, is in contrast to the requirements for revalidation of IR instruction privileges.

Any thoughts now?

FFF
----------------