PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spotters and airport security issues - Combined thread.
Old 11th Mar 2006, 13:43
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I presume you're referring to the scheme organised by LAAS? I know little about it other than what I've read on their web site but when I first read it I couldn't believe it! In basic terms, anyone who joins LAAS can obtain a "pass". This will not authorise entry to anywhere but is supposed to infer to the "authorities" that the holder is a bona fide individual. Without proper vetting how can this be? Anyone, but ANYONE can join LAAS and obtain a pass free of charge... Just how does this procedure ensure that the holder is a "real enthusiast"?
Recently, aircraft spotters who were able to prove their identity and were watching aircraft from a public road were apprehended by the police and issued with "tickets" stating that they had been interviewed as possible terrorist suspects. Would the possession of an LAAS card have prevented this? If it would, I would join LAAS tomorrow.
Just to assure you - my wife and I are both avid spotters but have never been apprehended even after standing for long hours at the ends of Heathrows runways. Maybe our extreme age suggests to the police that a) we're harmless and b) obviously not terrorists.
I don't know the answer but having lived all my life in "secure" environments and having to hold this and that pass I am far from convinced that the LAAS scheme is of any real use.
Someone please assure me otherwise.....