PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 767 lands !!!!
Thread: 767 lands !!!!
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2006, 08:21
GeeJay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I read most of the previous posts I realize that the vast majority has no idea about long haul charter flights. Turning back from CUN with a 767 even with full pax is not a problem. But taking extra fuel usually is.... Most of the time you have to justify the 2tons extra (Mom, kids.....) and the extra burnoff to carry them (700??Kg on such a leg). Pressure from the management is very high and they have it easy to say: "Look, how many diversion due to fuel?? Zilch!!! So next time, you better take the minimum AND the closest diversion...."
Then the decision to stay at ZRH after the go around. It is my destination, I have 2!!! runways catIII And the book says that I can go below minimum diverting fuel in such and such conditions. Then the s..t hit the fan and under "My Captain's authority" I decide to land here when it is safer than diverting with low fuel to land maybe on "fumes".
Good and sound decision.

Now it will be paperwork, inquiry and engineers sitting around a table discussing for hours the decision you had to take in minutes (or even less).

Fly safe,
GJ