PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we witnessing a paradigm shift in aviation?
Old 11th Mar 2006, 00:41
Gwan B Yirheid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aw come on boys and girls give us some good news, I've just been forced into paying for my "career advancement" - a poxy $10k Metro rating just to save my sanity and my life... and get out of the piston twin world.

This entitles me to part-time work where I get paid an amazing $34/hr!! Sounds not too bad... compared to the piston twin GA Job... but that's per flying hour. This week I had two days flying - Tuesday, two flights, short sectors, total two hours = $68 for 9hrs duty = $7.56/hr I'd get double that at McD's. Wednesday was worse 2hrs flying, 10hrs duty, so it dropped to $6.80/hr.

What am I supposed to do??? I've had some wicked times, some great flying, put my heart and soul in to it, coming up for 5years perseverance, a hundred grand investment, an airline job is almost on the horizon and now you tell me (from one school of thought) I wont get a decent wage once I get there; or (the other school of thought) if I do I get a decent wage (to me this equates to $100k+) I dont deserve it.

Should I give up... get a real job... tell my employer to stick it where the sun don't shine???

Do I throw another $30k into the never ending pit of aviation financing for a 73 rating and hope for a "decent salary"???

Do I persevere where I am and hope that this alleged pilot shortage is real and that a pilot friendly company finds me and offers me a great job... with just enough flying, interesting sectors, a good salary, great benefits and no HR department!!!

I don't know!!! I need help...!!! I'm clinging to my mid thirties with desperation getting paid paper-round wages, I have no money just debt, I need to know it was worth it and that I'll reap the rewards of my cheerful hard work and positive attitude.

L.O.L.

GWB