PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jade Cargo
Thread: Jade Cargo
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2006, 22:15
alexb757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 14L
for me it apppears pretty strange as well what they offer.
have heard they donīt give contracts after positive screenings and further funny things.

have been invited four (4!) times now each time responding I am not willing to come as long as they donīt pay for the trip ( as CAL does i.e).

Cīmon people the market is opening for us all itīs time to take the rudder into our hands. if they need pilots why the hell donīt they pay for the trips?? Why the hell do the airlines still treat us like dogs.

No drivers no ops. damn it

app dragon air and qatar now

cheerz
Well, one reason might be that they are a start-up and as such have no interline agreements in place, limited funding and no airplanes on the line.

While I agree with you to a certain extent, I'd like to point out that there are plenty of other, already long-standing carriers (in the US) such as Atlas/Polar Air, Kalitta Air, Omni Air International etc., all of whom ask the candidates to foot the airfare to interview. Some will pay for the hotel - just like Jade - others expect you to do it all, if you want the job. Besides, Jade said they would refund the airfare, if you get hired.

Like it or not, it is becoming "normal" practice for may airlines as part of their cost-cutting measures and this is why you should do your homework on the company and why you would want to work there. If you feel it's too much of a burden or risk, then don't go, is the simply answer.

Another way of looking at it, is that most job hunting expenses such as travel to interview (especially air transportation overseas), is a tax deductible (see your tax advisor for more details). I've used this many times when I've considered the risk worth forking out hundreds, if not thousands in going to various interviews. Sometimes you might get the company to go half-way and reimburse you half the airfare, it really depends on the airline and even tthe country. If you don't ask, you don't get, is a good adage.

Keep in mind that the airline business is unique when compared to most other professions. Yes, another company may pay for you to relocate to another part of the country or even overseas, but that does not mean that every company will do it! The airline industry is truly global and unfortunately, it does mean travelling long distances to interview and get the job.

I'm not saying I agree that airlines should get the candidate to pay to get there, I'm saying what I have experienced in recent years and this is not uncommon at all. At least Jade were up-front about it, so you knew before you went what the deal was. I, too, was called for interview and that was one of the deciding factors why I did not go (there were others). And I might change my mind later.