PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instruction on permit aircraft
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2006, 20:16
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep you still need the paper work done by a CAA examiner unless of course you want to send the whole lot into the CAA and pay them to do it.

And as you now say that its a turbo aircraft I would be very suspect that many newbie FI's would be legal to fly it. And I am not suprised that the FI's are ****ting themselves while in it. What happens if they take control and kill the turbo? Who pays for it?

Turbo needs a sign off for differences training and I would be very suprised unless they flew a turbo seneca for IR training that many would have it. As such if they haven't got the signature in thier log book they can only be an educated pax. I wouldn't trust most (including myself) to handle the engine properly if they were forced to sort something out.

And also as well a turbo, constant speed prop, retractable might also come under the new regs for a complex types with manditory differences training. Your meant to get it for all twins now. So for the FI to teach on it they would need to be trained on it.

The more I think about your machine and situation the safe thing would be for all concerned (including your engine) if you or another group member did the training. Its not very fair on the school FI to be honest. Thier bum is well in the wind if anything go's wrong.

And you never know the school might appreciate a CRI to help out doing check flights/ one hour with an instructor at short notice unpayed. Or other groups might appreciate a stable known instructor who is local and won't disappear in 6 months.

But be careful you might get to like instructing and that could cost a fortune.

MJ

The looking out the window is the main trick most PPL's are to fixated to varying degrees on instruments, you only really develop really flying by attitude when you don't have any. It can really annoy students when you are looking out the side and say "check your altitude" or "check air speed" on approach. You just develop a much better appreciation of the picture of attitude of the different stages of flight be it in relation to the nose, wing tip or if you are really bored the main wheel of a cessna.

Last edited by mad_jock; 10th Mar 2006 at 20:55.