PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Out Emergency Turns
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2006, 14:03
Sir Norman Fry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for your interest, my company's ET procedure out of MAN from Rwy 06L is: Ahead to 700' QNH, turn left at V2 to WAL VOR. We only have ET procedures published where terrain is a factor on the departure route. i.e. An ET procedure is not published at every airport we operate into, only where necessary.

Now I have discussed this with a few of my colleagues and a few ATCO's at STN. If you continued straight ahead off Rwy 23 at STN this is going to take you towards the Luton CTA and the London TMA. (There is no ET out of STN.) Is it not better to follow the published SID to the MSA or SID stop altitude to save a potentially dangerous situation? Interestingly enough, the ATCO's I spoke to said they would expect us to continue straight ahead.

Also if your departing MAN off Rwy 06L on a Honiley SID, the right turn at 1.2d takes you away from the terrain anyway. So is it not better to follow the SID as ATC are expecting you to do, rather than turning the opposite way to what they are expecting? I don't really have an opinion on this, just wondered what others think on this particular scenario?

Thanks.