PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 75 miles off course in 100 mile trip...
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2006, 12:08
skip.rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard what I reckon was this incident yesterday whilst monitoring 121.5 (a normal procedure using our second radio) over N/E France. It certainly sounded to me as though the a/c was lost. London Info. on 121.5 was with great effort trying to help said a/c identify his position;- "if you are over ***** you should be able to see ****" etc. etc. After a short time all messages were being relayed through a BA Shuttle at high level overhead; and were eventually passed to another Shuttle when the first appeared to go out of range.This scenario was heard by us for about 45 mins, and it appeared that to remain clear of cloud the a/c had to descend to 700' and seemed to be trying to identify his position as best he could. Not sure of the terrain up there, but this may account for London Info. not being able to get a fix via D/F. The only Txmissions that we heard were the London Info., the Relay a/c, Latterly the rescue Helicopter, and a few broken Txmissions (maybe from the a/c). The rescue helicopter was attempting to get a D/F fix from the a/c when we had to stop monitoring; so I'm glad to see that all landed safely - Well Done to London Info.,the Ba shuttles, and the rescue helicopter.
Don't know the full details; -we'll have to wait for the report; suffice to say that hopefully those involved will be able to "learn about flying from that" (as the phrase goes)