PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Report on ERA S-76 CFIT
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2006, 03:30
SASless

Received 573 Likes on 235 Posts
How many variations of cockpit configurations exist between all the 76's in a fleet. I know one nay...two Bristow Group companies that has just about every variation there is and over the years has tried to standardize them as much as possible but has not gotten there yet.

That brings up yet another issue to consider....fleet commonality. Had there been a change of aircraft for the crew that day, week, shift, hitch or customer? Are the cockpit procedures different enough or generic enough a mistake could be made due to that?

At one place I worked we thought ourselves as being on top of things only to discover that we as an institution had skipped right over a basic calibration procedure for one of the mission systems that led to some very bright red cheeks when we discovered what had happened. Granted the manufacturers Operator's Manual was written in Swahili and only the technical writer that composed the section dealing with that procedure could have understood it. One of the dangers of out sourcing technical work I guess.