PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pentagon Grounds Secret Spaceplane?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2006, 22:39
DaveW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim McLelland
The F-117 photos I was thinking of were shot a good while before the first Pentagon photo was released
Ah, we must be talking about different photos, then. I was under the strong impression that no images had published prior to the Pentagon release, which is why it was such a shock and why even then people weren't clear about the actual shape of the thing - that first photo suggested it to be far stubbier than it actually is. Incidentally, interesting and fairly comprehensive F117 timeline here.

Back to Blackstar, though - or rather the C-5C element of the tale. I have my doubts about that part of the story, at least.
This C-5C article describes a far less drastic conversion than the AW&ST article:
AvLeak
Three of the oversized aircraft were modified with 8-ft.-wide "chipmunk cheek" extensions on each side of the cargo compartment aft of the nose hinge point; an extra six-wheel set of landing gear that partially retracts up against the aft fuselage, forward of the ramp; a shortened upper deck, and two internal harness/cradle supports.
GlobalSecurity.org
With the troop compartment removed and modification to their rear loading doors, it has a larger cargo area than other C-5s.
This is a picture of one of the C-5Cs (68-0213). No sign of partially retracting six-wheel u/c set there - pic is from 1994, mind.
This is identified as the other C-5C (68-0216) in 2004, whereas this is a C-5B. No apparent 8ft wide "chipmunk cheeks" when comparing the two images. If they were there, they'd be obvious, would they not?