PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just prop deice... why?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2006, 21:18
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was pulling your leg, BP, about the Dulux emulsion.

With your JAA IR, you should know it all, while regrettably refraining from posting something that is useful to read.

Anyway, there are two ways to approach flight into potential icing

(1) Never fly into potential IMC (i.e. IFR) at a level where the OAT is forecast below zero, unless the plane is certified for known ice (and what exactly does that mean - think about that one, not just legally but more to the point practically)

(2) Understand a bit about one's aircraft's capability, understand where 3D weather data can be obtained from, examine the data carefully, and plan the flight with appropriate escape routes (usually a descent into warmer air, while remaining above the MSA).

Option (1) grounds all non-KI planes for some 6 months of each year in N Europe, for IFR (airways) flight.

It's amazing how many JAA IR holders sit around internet forums, having absorbed all that knowledge and having sat all those exams, yet seem so economical with their time when it comes to passing on that fountain of knowledge onto others.

If you had written some technical stuff on how different aerofoils are affected by ice (for example) that would be something else.

Anyway, any more than 5mm of ice (or whatever the white stuff was?) I would be executing my Plan B.