PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long are your ATPL ground exams valid?
Old 9th Mar 2006, 12:16
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking as one who has fallen foul of this by only completing a CPL prior to expiry of my ATPL theory its definitely a situation to avoid !

Bad news is that even if you have a CPL there is currently no upgrade course to refresh you theory to ATPL level, according to the CAA there isn't going to be either! Basically you have to start from scratch again and redo all 14 exams.

I did think I'd spotted a loophole that allowed you to work / fly as an FO with a CPL/ IR but not frozen ATPL, but have been informed in no uncertain terms by the CAA that this is not possible and a Multi crew rating cannot be added without having current and valid ATPL Theory.
They cant however explain the reason for the expiry of the ATPL Theory, why there wont be an upgrade course from CPL to ATPL theory or why you cant fly multicrew even though you hold a CPL/IR and have done ATPL theory in the past yet its expired. (This is on the basis that you redo the IR only exams to give you CPL/Multi IR MCC etc but not with a frozen ATPL)

I smell another money making scam.....

Would be interested to hear from any others that have expired ATPL theory and only a CPL or IR. I know of several others already and feel this is something that's been overlooked and needs more pressure on them to resolve.

Regards

UA

Last edited by Unusual Attitude; 9th Mar 2006 at 14:25.