PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Report on ERA S-76 CFIT
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2006, 11:33
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not a management problem, nor is it a pilot problem. Read the posts above, PILOTS get out the rubber stamp, put the accident in the right bin, and then go about their business as if they solved the cause.

The problem I am discussing is that the entire industry is shackled by its inability to seek technical solutions to technical problems.

I am in the business of building stuff, so when a problem is found, we FIX it. If my company lost 2% of its products coming down the assembly line due to a single cause, and we had tried unsuccessfully for years to train that problem out or the workforce, we would do something ELSE to FIX the problem.

Most management wouldn't fail to fix the problem, it is the pilots who I place most of the burden on, since they do not even ask for the fixes. Look at the series of posts on pprune where I perposely ask for safety improvement ideas, and every dumb bastard asks for more OEI safety, in spite of the fact that it is CFIT that gets us. Only when pilots connect the dots will there be solutions, but pilots are so busy believing they are infallable that they REFUSE to consider solutions where they are helped in their job. Otherwise, we would be screaming for helo airways, helo approaches, EGPWS and many other similar technical solutions.