PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Position and hold" >< "Line up and wait"
Old 9th Mar 2006, 11:06
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Astra driver
I wholeheartedly agree with your posted comments.
I also share in your frustration.

How these discussions get started is barely comprehensible. Unless, English is a second language? Which, in this case, it likely is.

"taxi into position and hold" means exactly that. It CLEARLY and SIMPLY isn't a clearance to take off. It is an 'instruction' to do something with your aircraft. Whilst, "line up and wait" is merely a rephrasing of the same bloody instruction!

"Position and hold"! Where? On the bloody lawn??

How professional pilots with a modicum of intelligence and education, not to mention the responsibility shouldered, fail to see the two are the same, is absolutely amazing.

Now, if we wish to go off in the direction markjoy is pointing out, we may be onto something. Hearback/readback problems.
When in doubt, ask or read it back. If you think you've got it right, but not really, it could cost lives. Which is a risk. Which is what we manage and something we need to be better at.

I wouldn't, out of respect for a fellow professional, wish to belittle sabenaboy for I'm sure this is a legitimate comment on his part, but I would (as a North American) wish to ensure him this instruction IS the same as "line up and wait".

Tenerife. Indeed!